This week was the first week back to school, That-Boy-I-Love was also out of town ALL week long. This, my friends, is the perfect storm of truly terrible cuisine come dinner time. Frozen pizza, sandwiches, cereal, and left-over creamed spinach/caprese salad (that was okay).
Tonight was the redemption of a week of awful meals (if you can even call them that).
Ahi Strawberry Mango Salad…also known as fresh end-of-summer happiness!
The loose recipe (because I didn’t use any measurements, just what looked about right):
- 5 large strawberries, diced
- 1 small mango, diced
- 1/4 c. onion (I used white because it is what I had, but red onion would have been better), diced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 3 mini red/yellow baby bell peppers, diced
- 2 large basil leaves, diced
- 3/4 lbs of sushi grade Ahi Yellowfin Tuna steak
- 1 bag baby spinach
- White (or black) pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Swirl of Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Myer Lemon Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Citrus Balsamic Vinegar
How to make your mouth happy:
Swirl some extra virgin olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Heat the olive oil until it thins and a swirl of the pan coats the bottom of the pan. Salt and pepper tuna to taste. Add Ahi Tuna to the heated pan and sear each side, or cook to desired doneness (we like ours seared on the outside, raw on the inside). Remove from pan and chop into large pieces.
In a medium bowl, mix together strawberry, mango, baby bell peppers, onion, and basil. Add 2 Tbsp Myer Lemon Olive Oil and Citrus Balsamic Vinegar to the mixture and stir until coated.
Split baby spinach between serving dishes. Top each with half of the fruit/dressing mixture. Top with avocado and Ahi Tuna.
Enjoy this moment of happy freshness.